If you are reading these lines, it is probably because soon you have a romantic dinner or an important working meal in a Japanese restaurant. If you have never gone to a restaurant where the main course is sushi, do not worry, because then we discover everything you should know about this food in which cooked rice is combined (usually marinated with rice vinegar, salt and sugar ) with other types of ingredients such as fish, vegetables, seafood and even meats.
The problem with sushi bar is that many people come without knowing that there are certain protocols and traditions that we should consider Without we do not want to be in a state. Therefore, in the following article, we explain some tips on how to eat sushi correctly. Follow our advice to enjoy this dish as popular as a real Japanese.You may also be interested: How to cut tuna for sushi
How to eat sushi correctly
As we have advanced, it is convenient that before going to a Japanese restaurant you know some traditions and protocols on how to eat sushi correctly. Therefore, here are some indications:
How to behave when entering
It is common that when entering a sushi bar, we sit at a table and ask for some of the varieties offered on the menu. But this is a serious mistake, because the cook or itamae The restaurant could be considered disrespectful.
When we go to this type of premises, it is advisable to ask the chef what kind of sushi he recommends. We can also opt for the omakase, a modality in which the itamae He will choose the sushi, the order in which it will be served and the price. With this gesture, we will not only gain the chef's confidence, but also ensure that the freshest fish is served.
How to order dishes
If you have finally opted to order a la carte sushi, it is not recommended that you order more than one dish at the same time according to tradition. The most convenient thing is to finish your plate and then order the next one. However, if you have come to eat at a sushi bar but you are in a hurry, you can also order the chirashi sushi, a modality in which the ingredients are served on a plate.
How to eat sushi at the table
Once the varieties of this food are served, it is important to know in what order you should eat them: first, we will take the sashimi; a type of fish or shellfish broken into very thin pieces. Then we will eat the nigiris (These are the typical pieces of rice and fish together with nori seaweed) and, immediately after, makizushi, also known as makis. Finally it will be the turn of the temakis and the tempura dishes.
How to eat sushi with chopsticks
Although the most traditional is to eat sushi with your hands, restaurants usually serve dishes with chopsticks or hashi. However, eating this dish with chopsticks also has its own rules: the most correct way to take sushi with hashi is to take the pieces and eat them in one bite. It is only allowed to hold part of the piece of sushi when the piece cannot be swallowed at once.
Another custom that we must take into account if we are going to eat sushi with chopsticks, is that we must deposit this utensil between piece and piece in the hashi oki, a ceramic plate or stand. It is also not convenient that you pass a piece from one plate to another (in case of sharing sushi with friends) or that you use chopsticks to prick the food.
How to eat sushi: other tips
- Ask the cook If the pieces are already prepared with a sauce: if not, you can order Japanese soy sauce, wasabi or gari sushi (which is ginger for sushi that is used to refresh and clean the palate).
- Don't wet the rice part of the sushi piece: you should always wet the side of the fish, as this will prevent the piece from crumbling. In addition, it is important that you put the part of the fish in your mouth, since it is the tastiest.
- Never order soda or wine in a sushi bar: these types of drinks subtract the flavor of these dishes. It is recommended that you order sake, Japanese beer or green tea.
Types of sushi
Now that we know the basic rules on how to eat sushi like a real Japanese, then we will explain what kind of pieces exist so you can identify them when they are served:
- Maki: They are rolls of rice and raw fish combined with other ingredients rolled in a nori seaweed.
- Temaki: they are nori seaweed cones that inside are filled with rice and other ingredients.
- Uramaki: is the opposite of maki. That is, it is when marinated rice is wrapped around nori seaweed and other ingredients.
- Gunkan: It is a piece of rice with fish roe wrapped in a strip of thicker nori seaweed.
- Nigiri: They are pieces of rice covered with raw fish or other ingredients.
- Oshi: is a piece that is pressed into a mold known as oshibako It contains rice, fish and vegetables.
How to make sushi
Do you fancy a themed dinner at home? Here’s how to make sushi pieces like maki with a series of simple steps. Before you start, make sure you have the following ingredients:
- 250 grams of sushi rice
- 370 cl of water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 pinch of sugar and salt
- Nori seaweed
- 70 grams of raw salmon
- Half carrot
- Half cucumber
- Soy sauce
- Optional: wasabi and gari sushi
How to make homemade makis
- First you will have to wash the sushi rice: to do this put it in a colander and while the tap water falls, remove it with your hands for 2 and 5 minutes.
- When you have the rice washed, cook it for 15 minutes (once the water starts to boil) and then let it rest in the water for 15 more minutes. For this step, you may be interested in checking out this article on How to prepare rice for sushi.
- While the rice is cooking and resting, cut both the salmon and the indicated vegetables into thin strips.
- Then heat the rice vinegar and mix it with a pinch of salt and another of sugar.
- Now, we will spread the cooked rice in the nori seaweed on top of a wooden tray known as hangiri and let it cool. Then, we will make grooves with a wooden spoon and pour the rice vinegar mixture.
- Next, we will place the filling (salmon and vegetables) on top of the rice and roll the hangiri to press the piece of sushi well.
- Once we have the rolls, it will only be cut with a sharp knife to get about 10 pieces of maki.
If you want a more detailed step by step, do not miss this other article on How to make sushi.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to eat sushi, we recommend that you enter our Recipes category.