Do you know how many bacteria and germs a single lettuce leaf can hold? The truth is that there are many and imagine, now, a vegetable full of them. Luckily, here in we will show you every detail about the best way to disinfect lettuce correctly. It is not enough just to bring the vegetable to the tap and bathe it with water. With this you will only be able to remove the visible dirt, but what about the unseen? The safest thing is that microorganisms end up in your body when eating this vegetable and, although some are harmless or easily combat by the body, others are very resistant and can cause health problems.
Therefore, in this article, we explain how to disinfect lettuce correctly so that the next time you eat it you do not run the risk of becoming infected with microorganisms, such as bacteria, that affect your health negatively.You may also be interested: How to disinfect fruits and vegetables before consuming them
How to wash the lettuce
Washing a lettuce does not require highly elaborate steps. The process is very similar to that used with any type of vegetable. In we teach you how to do it well so that your salads and dishes do not taste like earth or pesticides. Take out pencil and paper and write down the following Steps to wash the lettuce properly:
- First, you must get the lettuce, a clean knife and a cutting board.
- Now, remove the first leaves of the vegetable, which make up the main layer, as they contain the most pesticides, bacteria and parasites. These are recognizable by their battered and yellowish or brown appearance, as they begin to oxidize.
- Subsequently, you must separate the healthy leaves and bring them to the tap. You have to make sure that each sheet receives enough water from both sides. Of course, it is necessary to be meticulous so that plenty of liquid reaches all sections of the leaves.
- Then you let them dry and that's it. Although it is always advisable, after the washing process, to make a complete disinfection of each leaf of the lettuce to make sure to eliminate any parasite or harmful microorganism that has survived the wash.
In this other article we tell you more about how to wash lettuce.
Remember that if you are pregnant, or if you prepare lettuce for a woman who is, it is best to use sterilized utensils, in addition to washing your hands very well with an antibacterial soap. The rest of the steps to wash vegetables or a simple lettuce are identical, just remember that you should then disinfect the vegetables. Below we explain how.
How to disinfect lettuce step by step
At the time of disinfecting the lettuce you make sure you are not approached by bacteria or parasites that can be dangerous for your health. In we care about your well-being and therefore, we will also teach you below how to disinfect lettuce correctly, you just have to follow the following indications:
- After the washing process explained above, you should prepare a bowl with water.
- Subsequently, you pour 3 drops of food bleach or iodineYou can also use iodized salt in the water. These products will be our best allies to disinfect lettuce.
- Then, take the lettuce leaves, already washed, and soak them in the cup with treated water for up to 3 minutes, which are more than enough. If this time passes, the lettuce may lose its crunchy texture.
- After the disinfection process, take the lettuce leaves and wash them with natural water, that is, not from the tap.
- Then, dry the sheets with paper towels. Do not wear rags, because most are usually contaminated.
- Prepare your favorite dish to taste.
Now, if you are thinking if you can do the same process with all the vegetables, the truth is that yes. But you have to keep in mind that according to the vegetable, the disinfection time varies between 3 to 15 minutes. It should also be remembered that fruits or vegetables that are going through a cooking cycle do not require disinfection. Just give it a deep wash, if possible, using a brush to help remove microscopic particles.
You may also want to know how to keep lettuce for longer.
Why it is so important to disinfect vegetables in pregnancy
A pregnancy is a delicate thing, since the woman must be much more careful with what she eats and does to protect her baby's health and her own. Now, thinking about feeding a pregnancy leads us to believe that fruits and vegetables are essential and this is true, but care must be taken with the cleaning and disinfection of these foods.
By not washing and disinfecting a fruit or vegetable properly, anyone can become contaminated with Toxoplasmosis. If a woman is on tape she could exist high risk of producing abortions, since it can affect the fetus directly. Once a pregnant woman is infected with the parasite, if her body is not immune, the chances of the pathogen penetrating the placenta are high. In addition, in case of not causing the loss of the fetus, it is possible that at birth the baby presents health complications such as eye infections and hydrocephalus, among others.
On the other hand, contaminate with other types of pathogens such as E. coli to consume a vegetable without first being disinfected is very easy. The main cause of contamination is due to the use of water for irrigation that is mixed with manure from cattle and ruminants that are contaminated by E. coli. You may realize that you are infected if you have diarrhea with the presence of blood in the stool, severe abdominal pain and continuous vomiting.
In turn, there are other bacteria and germs that can enter our body through poorly washed and disinfected fruits and vegetables. Some of them are: Salmonella, Amebiasis, Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria and Leptospirosis, among other.
It is noteworthy that cleaning with water is not enough, but a few more steps are required to ensure that vegetables and fruits are 100% free of pathogens and other contaminants, such as pesticides. Therefore, it is recommended wash and then disinfect.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to disinfect lettuceWe recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.