Dehydrating tomatoes is an excellent way to preserve this food and be able to use it at any time, but it is also a procedure that helps us to give the tomato a very different flavor and then use it in simple recipes such as starters, canapés and salads. Whether you've decided to dry them yourself or bought them this way, hydrate them again It is very important to be able to use them in your preferred preparations, a very simple process that you can perform in a very simple way. Keep reading, because in this article de.com we explain how to hydrate dried tomatoes.You may also be interested: How to hydrate mushrooms Steps to follow: 1
You may wonder why it is necessary hydrate tomatoes when we have just chosen the opposite procedure, dry them, to enjoy that particular flavor they have with this presentation. The answer is simple: if you do not hydrate the tomatoes again they will be hard and taffy, not pleasant to eat. So if you want to enjoy them with that soft and particular flavor, perfect for salads, sandwiches, snacks and even hamburgers, you will need to give them some moisture again.2
The simplest and fastest way to moisturize dried tomatoes It is soaking them in a bowl with very hot water, for about 20 minutes. It is recommended that the water used be packaged in this way we prevent tomatoes from acquiring any flavor that may come in tap water.
If after 20 minutes they are still not soft, leave 5 more minutes and check later. Take them out only when they have the smooth texture we want.3
If you are not in a hurry, you can hydrate dried tomatoes in bottled water at room temperature, in this case the process can take 1 hour or more. Whichever alternative you choose, once the tomatoes are soft you should dry them well with absorbent paper to remove excess water, let them cool in the event that you have used hot water and decide how you will season them and you will prepare.4
The most common is to keep them in a previously sterilized glass container with a little olive oil and Provencal herbs They will give you a delicious flavor. To do so, you must:
- Place the previously dried tomatoes with absorbent paper in the glass bowl.
- Cover them with a little virgin or extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the seasoning that could be a clove of peeled garlic, some basil leaves, thyme, rosemary and oregano. You can use them all or only some herbs, in any case this will only highlight the flavor of the tomatoes.
- And if you want an even more Mediterranean entree, add some black olives and some cubes of feta cheese to the mix so that you can then serve the entire content as a delicious entree with cookies or toast. Incredible!
- Then finish covering the contents with oil until it is well submerged.
Use these rich dry tomatoes in a salad, served on a toast of mozzarella cheese and basil, as a decoration for a homemade pasta sauce, inside a sandwich to give it a different flavor or just alone next to a cheese and sausage board and a plate of olives! Perfect Mediterranean appetizer!
If you want to read more articles similar to How to hydrate dried tomatoesWe recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.